There are three factors of authentication:
- Something you know (such as a password or PIN)
- Something you have (such as a smart card)
- Something you are (using biometrics)
- False acceptance. This is when a biometric system incorrectly identifies an unauthorized user as an authorized user.
- False rejection. This is when a biometric system incorrectly rejects an authorized user.
- True acceptance. The biometric system accurately determines a positive match.
- True rejection. The biometric system accurately determines a non-match.