Sunday, February 5, 2012

Three Simple Steps to Success

You can achieve success with any worthwhile goal you desire by following three simple steps. It’s true. Anything. I could call them the three secret steps to success but they really aren’t secret. They are:
  1. Set a goal
  2. Listen for inspiration
  3. Take action
This simple formula works for anything you may want to achieve. It can work to help you pass a certification exam, get into the college of your choice, get the job of your dreams, write and publish a book, fill your life with wealth and abundance, create a product, or provide a service.

Anything.

If it’s so easy, why aren’t more people doing it? That’s a great question.

I know these three steps are easy to follow. However, I also know they aren’t common knowledge. For example, there are important elements to goal setting that can help people set and achieve their goals. Unfortunately, these elements aren’t widely known, taught, or practiced. Similarly, many people don’t understand how accessible inspiration is, or even how to recognize it when it comes.

These steps also take a little bit of discipline. Success comes by taking regular action toward a worthwhile goal and it takes discipline to set a goal and take regular action toward that goal. Failure is much easier because you can simply choose not to act. However, if you’re willing to take a few steps to identify what you want and bring it into your life, success is within your reach.

How Do You Achieve Success

Many times I’m asked how I’ve achieved something. For example, someone may ask how I earned my certifications, or how have I been able to write various books. The answers can be long and varied, but there’s a simpler answer. I’ve learned the secret of succeeding at any worthwhile goal I desire by following these three steps.

I won’t say that I’ve perfected them in my life. I continue to work on self-improvement. However, these steps have helped me enjoy some personally rewarding successes, and I continue to use them in my life.

If you give these steps a try, see how they work, and start using them regularly, you’ll notice that there is a great deal of depth to the concepts. There are many underlying reasons why they work. I’m won't attempt to describe the full depth of these steps within this series of articles, but I do want to give you practical steps you can start using right away for any worthwhile goal.

Worthwhile Goal

A worthwhile goal will not cause harm to you or anyone else. Often, you’ll find that a worthwhile goal not only provides benefits to you, but also benefits others. For example, you may be seeking a certification. Earning the certification will benefit you, but it will often increase your value to an employer and the knowledge you gain may help you prevent or resolve problems as an employee. Of course, the more valuable you are to an employer, the more likely you’ll be to earn more compensation for the services you provide.

Desire

When seeking success, your desire is an important element. In other words, seeking success based on someone else’s desire probably won’t get you far. However, if this is something you want to achieve, you can.

Of course, it is possible for others to motivate us to desire something and this sometimes works. For example, an employer may tell you that you have 30 days to pass a Security+ certification exam. Assuming you want to keep your job, the desire to earn this certification will be strong.

My Success

Many times I’m asked how I’ve achieved something. For example, someone may ask how I earned my certifications, or how have I been able to write various books. The answers can be long and varied, but there’s a simpler answer. I’ve learned the secret of succeeding at anything I desire by following these three steps. I won’t say that I’ve perfected them in my life. I continue to work on self-improvement. However, these steps have helped me enjoy some personally rewarding successes, and I continue to use them in my life.

I’ll follow this article up with three more blogs on the following topics.
If you’re interested, stay tuned.

You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.”
- Marie Curie